6 Ways to Avoid the Dreaded Post-Holiday Party Beauty Hangover
Whether you’re heading home for the holidays or sparkling all season long at parties and social events, everyone wants to look their best during the holiday season. Unfortunately for us, the good tidings of celebration can wreak havoc on our skin making us look tired, older, puffy and all around icky. But, you don’t have to skip the champagne, savory meals and late nights the season brings – you just have to know how to deal with the unwanted post-party beauty hangover. Here are some quick tips to navigating the party season to ensure you always look your beautiful best.
1. WASH YOUR FACE – Yes it seems completely absurd, but we’re all guilty of having a little too much fun once in awhile and going to bed with a face full of makeup. You might think it’s harmless if you only do it once in awhile, but if you have sensitive skin you could be setting yourself up for weeks of facial flare ups just from one little slipup. If you’re prone to going to bed without washing up, put some of the makeup remover wipes on your bedside table. While not the same as a thorough cleaning, it’s better than nothing. For users of Latisse it is especially important to remove your eye makeup – dry, crusty and slept on mascara can cause your beautiful lashes to break off right at the base. So not worth it, right?
2. DRINK LOTS OF WATER – Yes, certainly you’ve heard this one before, but it’s so true. Drink a big bottle of water while you’re getting ready to head out for the evening, pace yourself by adding a glass of water between each glass of wine or champagne and drink at least another big bottle of water before bed. Not only will you feel lots better (bye-bye hangover), your skin will thank you for it. Keeping hydrated is tough during the holidays, and it’s hard to squeeze in that water when everyone else is drinking egg nog, hot toddies and other celebratory libations. Just remember to stay on top of your water consumption and you will positively glow.
3. DON’T FORGET TO EXERCISE – Oh, you thought that exercise was just for your body? Nope. Skin is your body’s largest organ and consistent exercise is key for keeping blood circulation going which promotes elimination of toxins that can make you look sallow and tired. And, what could be better than a post workout glow? Breaking a sweat regularly also pushes out toxins and keeps your body and skin system healthy.
4. GET A FACIAL- We all get busy around the holiday season. But don’t neglect your important skin care regimen. We want to look our best during the holidays and making and keeping essential aesthetics appointments are key to maintaining a healthy complexion year round. A deep scrub and a polish for the skin can improve how smoothly makeup goes on the skin letting your natural radiance shine through.
5. TEST YOUR PARTY BEAUTY LOOKS- There is nothing worse than when a holiday party look doesn’t pan out as planned on the night of the soiree. Whether it’s sparkly blue shadow that looks more 80’s than edgy or a new spray on foundation, give the look a dry run well before the big night. You never know when you could have a skin irritation or breakout in response to adding a new product to your holiday lineup.
6. SCHEDULE ANY MAJOR APPOINTMENTS WELL IN ADVANCE: While a laser treatment can be an amazing addition to your skincare regimen, a week before a major party or event is not the time to have a major procedure performed. You will need at least 4-6 weeks to heal from a major treatment like laser or a more advanced peel, so plan those well in advance of any special occasions. If you’re in need of a quick skin care fix prior to a special event ask your aesthetician what treatments are safe and effective for achieving your desired results short term.
Call 480.451.1700 to book any skin care appointments.